In light of recent happenings in Nigerian security concerning schools, providing a conducive environment for learning is not enough, you also have to secure your school by considering the safety of students, teachers, and parents whenever they are within or around your premises. Here are a few things you can put in place to ensure security in your schools and prevent incidences or intrusion.
- Build a Perimeter Fence: Having a fence around your school environment makes it harder for an intruder to gain access to school facilities and students unauthorized. A fence could be set up with bricks, metal mesh, or bollards to help secure your school.
- Recruit a Security team: When you have security personnel at the school’s front office and some patrolling the school premises this serves as a deterrent to those with ulterior motives. The Security team can help teach self-defense and also run safety drills with students and staff in the school.
- Have an Emergency Response Plan: At the likely occurrence of a fight, an attack or kidnapping in your school premise, you must have a well laid out plan on how it will be handled and possibly handled. A good emergency plan kicks into action immediately and 85% of the time is the solution to the problem.
- Mass Notification System: Your school should have a public address system that can be used to pass emergency information to staff and students in the case of an emergency.
- Install Surveillance Systems: With the use of high definition cameras and security personnel, you will be able to monitor all the activities within your school environment and in turn respond swiftly and covertly.
- Use of Access Control System: Physical access control can help you effectively monitor those that enter and leave your school premises, and also the screening of school visitors will be much easier. Logical Access Control will also help in preventing the theft of school data and information.
- Install Reinforced Doors: All the offices and classes in your school should be fitted with reinforced security doors that can resist break-ins and vandalization.
- Assess Risk Annually: As you continuously run your school sessions and add new buildings and facilities, you should take time out to assess the security risk your school may be in and work on them to improve security.
Securing your school could be hectic and costly if you don’t have the right team to do it, we at Trivest Technologies
You can also read up on How Technology is Keeping Schools Safe