Height is the very first thing you will point out as a distinguishing characteristic when it comes to high rise buildings when compared with smaller ones. This same characteristic makes it an imposing structure and it must be factored into efforts taken to create an effective security system. They are usually situated in urban areas and tend to be obvious targets because of the high number of casualties that would result from an attack as opposed to smaller buildings that would house fewer people. The need to secure the property and the lives of those within therefore requires a comprehensive security system.
While securing occupants and high rise buildings, it is important to consider key areas of concentration that are peculiar to high rise buildings to ensure effective security. Let’s take a look at some of them.
What are the areas to be concentrated on for effective security within high rise buildings?
These key areas can be categorized under access control and video surveillance.
- Access Control:
- Elevators: These are peculiar to high rise buildings and criminals could take advantage of the ease and speed of movement to commit crimes without being apprehended. To prevent such, access to specific floors could be restricted or a key card could be required to gain access to elevators, thereby preventing unauthorized individuals from accessing the building through elevators.
- Rooftop: Even though the rooftop of high rise buildings is not easily accessible, it must not be overlooked, even more so if it has a helipad.
- Entry/exit points: Every entry/exit point of the building must be taken into consideration. A visitor management system would be beneficial here to monitor those that require access to the building.
2. Video surveillance:
This is required all around the building to monitor those that come into the building, those that loiter, and those that leave it.
- Interiors: Every hallway, common area, service route, and other accessible areas should have video surveillance with cameras placed in strategic places, with no room for blind spots that criminals could take advantage of for their criminal purposes.
- Building exteriors: These include the main entrance, the back, and parking areas if any.
Securing a high rise building takes much effort and expertise to be effectively done, so you will need the best professionals to take care of this for you. Trivest Technologies is available to create a security strategy and install the security cameras you need for proper surveillance. Contact us today to get started.